Wednesday, July 21, 2010

ACOG announces new VBAC guidelines

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm

Wow, I can barely believe that this press release is real. I am really grateful for the hard work and advocacy from ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) and all of the wonderful women out there that have had a vbac, tried for a vbac and those that simply wanted one and were turned away. It was you who all raised your voices, believed in what birth could/might be and brought awareness and HEAT to the powers-that-be. In this case it was American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I know that this won't result in some miraculous reversal of vbac bans or defacto bans, but it is a big step in the right direction. Changing the hearts and minds of those who truly believe that vbac is "dangerous" will take a generation or more. I just pray that first, women will be sparred that scar but if they should have one, that it will be the only one. I pray that the struggles I had through my primary section, cbac (cesarean birth after cesarean) and the long journey to a successful vba2c will somehow be lessened now for others.

A facebook and IRL friend posted on this Facebook today and I think it is perfect for today!

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."" Author: Helen Keller

I couldn't agree more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment